Topics focus on cancer and obesity in the workplace, return to work, and leave strategies
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (Jan. 28, 2016) –Unum (NYSE:UNM) and the Disability Management Employer Coalition (DMEC) are teaming up for the 16th year to offer a series of online educational forums on disability and absence management.
This year’s online forums will cover topics relevant to employers and industry professionals including cancer and obesity in the workplace, return to work and updates on the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
“We are pleased that the virtual forums continue to be a popular tool for employers and industry professionals to ensure they are up to date on the most current industry changes, trends and processes,” said Terri Rhodes, chief executive officer for DMEC. “In addition to the topics covered and availability of resources through these forums, the virtual format is an easy and cost-effective way to meet ongoing educational needs.”
Integrated Disability & Absence Management
DMEC is the only non-profit devoted to integrated disability and absence management. Its membership represents employers from the Fortune 500 to those with fewer than 500 employees. For 16 years Unum and DMEC have partnered on the Virtual Education Forum Series, one of the first web-based learning forums in the industry.
“The VEF series is a great opportunity for employers and industry professionals to come together and share expertise on the ever-changing world of disability and absence management,” said Michelle Jackson, assistant vice president of Workforce Solutions at Unum. “Unum values the partnership with DMEC and the opportunity to provide relevant information on these important topics.”
The 2016 forum schedule is as follows:
- Feb. 16: “Cancer & working: Supporting your employee from diagnosis through return to work.” Presenters: Heidi Bimrose, director in Unum’s Workforce Solutions Group, and Judy Ellington, RN and clinical consultant for Unum.
- Apr. 19: “Parental leave: Is it a trend or mainstream?” Presenters: Michelle Jackson, assistant vice president of Unum’s Workforce Solutions Group, and Angel Bennett, director in Unum’s Leave Management Center.
- June 21: “ADA: Navigating through the process.” Presenters: Ellen McCann, assistant vice president and legal counsel for Unum and an employer (TBD)
- Sept. 20: “Return-to-work strategies for musculoskeletal conditions: It doesn’t have to be a pain in the neck.” Presenters: Marcy Ledford, director in Unum’s Workforce Solutions Group, and Angela Hibberts, RN and clinical consultant for Unum.
- Nov. 1: “The heavy burden of rising obesity in the workforce.” Presenters: Tori Weeks, director in Unum’s Workforce Solutions Group, and Unum customer (TBD)
- These sessions are held on Tuesdays at noon Eastern/ 9 a.m. Pacific. The one-hour presentations will be followed by a 30-minute question-and-answer session. To register, visit DMEC and select the Virtual Education Forum you wish to attend.
Unum is a leading provider of financial protection benefits through the workplace. The disability insurance leader in the U.S. for 39 years, Unum’s portfolio of financial protection products also includes life, accident and critical illness, which help protect millions of working people and their families in the event of an illness or injury. In 2014, Unum paid $5.6 billion in benefits to more than 525,000 individuals and their families.
The Disability Management Employer Coalition (DMEC) is the only association dedicated to providing focused education, knowledge, and networking for absence and disability professionals. Through its national education programs and network of local chapters, DMEC delivers trusted strategies, tools, and resources to minimize lost work time, improve workforce productivity, and maintain legally compliant absence and disability programs. Visit www.dmec.org to learn more.