Targeting more consistent returns over time
NEW YORK – MetLife announced recently that it recently expanded the MetLife Protected Growth Strategies investment portfolio lineup within its variable annuity products to help consumers build their retirement assets with more consistent returns over time. The three new portfolios are:
- Invesco Balanced-Risk Allocation Portfolio: a risk-balanced strategy, which diversifies the portfolio based on risk instead of asset class
- JPMorgan Global Active Allocation Portfolio: a momentum strategy, which identifies persistent trends in returns and adjusts the portfolio accordingly
- Schroders Global Multi-Asset Portfolio: a managed volatility strategy, which adjusts the asset allocation mix as market conditions change to minimize exposure to less favorable assets
In addition, all Protected Growth Strategy portfolios will now be made available to most existing variable annuity contract holders.
Protected Growth Strategy portfolios seek to responsively manage market risk and identify opportunities across global asset classes. These specially designed portfolios are tailor-made for today’s uncertain markets offering a better balance between growth opportunities and protection against extreme market volatility.
The portfolios’ key characteristics include:
- Risk managed: By monitoring key indicators of market risk and volatility, these funds seek to emphasize growth when markets are more stable and protection when markets are more risky.
- Professionally managed: By offering the expertise of leading firms and access to investing techniques once available primarily to universities, endowments and other large institutions.
- Responsively managed: By seeking to anticipate risk and responding quickly to changing market conditions , these managers seek opportunities across global markets and asset classes.
“The responsive nature of the Protected Growth Strategies has really resonated with both consumers and advisors” says Elizabeth Forget, Senior Vice President, MetLife Retail Annuity Products. “We’re pleased to be able to add more fund choices to the Protected Growth Strategies lineup and to make these portfolios more widely available.”
Funds available to new and existing clients
The new portfolios, along with the four original portfolios, are now available to all new and most existing variable annuity customers regardless of the election of certain optional benefits. The Protected Growth Strategy portfolios were first introduced in May of 2011, but until now were only accessible to customers who elected certain optional benefits for an additional fee.
The original Protected Growth Strategies portfolios include:
- AllianceBerstein Global Dynamic Allocation Portfolio;
- AQR Global Risk Balanced Portfolio;
- BlackRock Global Tactical Strategies Portfolio; and
- MetLife Balanced Plus Portfolio (co-managed with PIMCO)
MetLife, Inc. is a leading global provider of insurance, annuities and employee benefit programs, serving 90 million customers in over 50 countries. Through its subsidiaries and affiliates, MetLife holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe and the Middle East. For more information, visit www.metlife.com.