Millennials have highest rate of anxiety; GenXers have most relationship issues
CHICAGO – Nov. 4, 2016 — Despite an improving job market, workers are still experiencing high levels of stress, according to the 2016 ComPsych® StressPulse® Report.
Looking across three different age groups – Millennials, Generation X and Baby Boomers – the report revealed Millennials have the highest rates of anxiety and depression, and GenX employees have the highest rate of relationship issues.
Key findings of StressPulse:
- Millennial workers experience the most anxiety of the age groups, due in large part to entering the workforce for the first time and crippling student loan debt. In addition, 7.2 percent of Millennials have reported issues of depression, the highest among the three generational groups.
- Generation X workers are focused on raising children and providing for their family, with 19.6 percent of GenXers having relationship problems as their top presenting issue, the highest rate among the age groups.
- Baby Boomers experience more stress due to loss of friends and family with the highest rate of bereavement issues at 5 percent.
- Overall, 92 percent of employees have either high levels of stress with extreme fatigue/feeling out of control (60 percent) or constant but manageable stress levels (32 percent).
- When asked what their biggest cause of stress at home was, 24 percent of employees said “financial issues.”
- Twenty-eight percent of employees miss three to six days per year due to stress.
“Employees of different age groups have very different causes of stress,” said Dr. Richard A. Chaifetz, Founder, Chairman and CEO of ComPsych. “Employers should take this into consideration when communicating what support services are available, such as employee assistance and work-life programs. In addition, access to EAP services should be provided in a variety of ways – including chat, apps, online resources and phone – in order to meet the needs of various age groups, and provide resources in the manner they prefer.”
To see the infographic, go here.
To receive the full report, “Stress and Generational Differences Among Workers,” which includes tips for employers, send an email email@example.com.**
ComPsych® Corporation is the world’s largest provider of employee assistance programs (EAP) and is the pioneer and worldwide leader of fully integrated EAP, behavioral health, wellness, work-life, HR, FMLA and absence management services under its GuidanceResources® brand. ComPsych provides services to more than 31,000 organizations covering more than 82 million individuals throughout the U.S. and over 130 countries. By creating “Build-to-Suit” programs, ComPsych helps employers attract and retain employees, increase employee productivity and improve overall health and well-being. For more information, visit our website and follow us on Twitter.