Sixth Annual Survey shows little progress in savings rates
Washington, D.C. – America Saves (founded by the Consumer Federation of America) and the American Savings Education Council (founded by the Employee Benefit Research Institute) will release the latest survey of America’s savings habits during a press teleconference on Monday, Feb. 25th at 12:00 noon ET, kicking off America Saves Week 2013.
New data released at the press conference will include:
- How many Americans have a savings plan
- How many include savings in their spending plans
- Attitudes toward the adequacy of personal emergency funds and retirement savings
- How demographic factors relate to savings practices
- How people save and how saving practices are trending
Stephen Brobeck, CFA’s Executive Director, and Dallas Salisbury, EBRI’s President and CEO, will evaluate the results and provide insight on how the financial condition of America’s families affect savings practices. The event marks the beginning of America Saves Week and the release of the 6th annual savings survey—a current look at consumer savings behavior in light of the nation’s economic situation.
At the press teleconference, America Saves and the American Savings Education Council will be joined by a diverse group of government and financial organizations that will announce a series of national and local programs designed to address America’s savings challenges. Coordinating organizations expect to reach tens of millions of Americans during America Saves Week with savings advice, assistance, and encouragement to take financial action. As the American economy gets back on its feet, America Saves Week is designed to address some disturbing trends and get consumers back on sound economic footing.
EVENT: Press Teleconference: Release of new data on America’s savings practices.
WHEN: Monday, February 25th 12:00 noon Eastern.
CALL IN #: 1-888-604-4211 and ask for CFA Savings conference.
Alternate number 201-604-0409 may be used.
WEB INFO: www.AmericaSavesWeek.org
- Dallas L. Salisbury, President and CEO, Employee Benefit Research Institute. Stephen Brobeck, Executive Director, Consumer Federation of America.
- Barry Wides, Deputy Comptroller, Community Affairs, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, U.S. Department of the Treasury.
- Jeanne Thompson, Vice President—Retirement & Market Insights, Fidelity Investments.
- Barbara Thompson, Director, Office of Family Policy/Children and Youth, Office of the Secretary of Defense.
- Ryan Ammann, Vice President CRA/Community Development, BB&T.
- Susan S. Shockey, National Program Leader, Family and Consumer Economics, National Institute of Food and Agriculture, USDA.
- Preston Cochrane, Utah Saves Director and President and CEO of AAA Fair Credit Foundation.
America Saves, managed by the Consumer Federation of America (CFA), is a national campaign involving more than 1,000 organizations that encourages and assists Americans, especially lower-income households, to save and build wealth. www.americasaves.org
American Savings Education Council (ASEC), managed by the Employee Benefit Research Institute (EBRI), is a nonprofit national coalition of public- and private-sector organizations undertaking initiatives to raise public awareness about what is needed to ensure long-term personal financial independence. www.choosetosave.org/asec/