Employment, spending & geo-pilitics forcing many to the sidelines
CHICAGO, IL–(Marketwired – Apr 29, 2015) – Market volatility and economic factors drove a four-point decline in the March Spectrem Affluent Investor Confidence Index (SAICI®) to 4, its lowest reading in a year, Spectrem Group announced today.
The Spectrem Millionaire Investor Confidence Index (SMICI®) dipped 1 point to 10, a three-month low. The indices, compiled by Spectrem Group, a market research and consulting firm specializing in the affluent and retirement markets, measure the investment confidence and outlook of the 16MM households in America with more than $500,000 of investable assets (SAICI), and those with $1MM or more (SMICI).
Factors driving shifts in the Index include:
- A disappointing employment report that the economy added only 125,000 jobs in March
- March consumer sales fell short of forecasts
- International news, including Greece's financial crisis and ISIS' continued attacks
- Affluent investors' intention to remain on the sidelines for the second consecutive month
- Investors' concern that they won't be able to retire when they want to, or have enough money to retire
"Investors' cautious investment mindset carried into April with an overall increase in affluent investors who intend to remain on the sidelines," George H. Walper, Jr., president of Spectrem Group, said. "We also saw investors express heightened concern over the economy, and their household assets and income."
Charts, deeper analysis of the Index and methodology are available upon request. Additional insights include:
- Heightened Retirement Concerns Having Greater Impact on Investment Plans
- Affluent Investors Looking to More Conservative Investments
|Spectrem Affluent Investor Confidence Index®||11||7||12||8||4|
|Spectrem Millionaire Investor Confidence Index®||16||10||13||11||10|
Index range: -31 to -51, Bearish; -11 to -30, Mildly Bearish; 10 to -10, Neutral; 11 to 30, Mildly Bullish; 31 to 51, Bullish.
About Spectrem Group
Spectrem Group (www.spectrem.com) strategically analyzes its ongoing primary research with investors to assist financial providers and advisors in understanding the Voice of the Investor.
About Millionaire Corner: Spectrem's Millionaire Corner website (www.millionairecorner.com) provides information for investors about investors. With its Best Financial Advisors service, investors are able to search for financial and investment advisors to assist in growing their wealth.